Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Water from my shower running down and around the fuse box leaving a big damp patch

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 09:42:41 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/4/2020 9:31 AM, Colette wrote:
I had New bathroom fitted* few months back the shower is fitted above
the fuse box which is in the hall .I have noticed when I have a shower
there's a damp patch around the fuse box.I have had a plumber round who
has told me he would have to get to the back of the shower and pull all
my beautiful new tiles off .and maybe have to get under the bath and
pull tiles off the side panel.And a electrician who has sad he will take
my new shower off and put new one on and put a new fuse board on that he
has told me it's going to be compulsory* he may have to take tiles of to
see if it's leaking this is going to cost around* £1000 the plumber that
did the bathroom said he is to busy to come back and is now avoiding me
.the house is 25 years old .I dont know what yo do will it couse a fire
.any idea would be helpfull.

Is this a new location for the shower? It was dumb to run water in a
location like that to start with.

If the first plumber refuses to come back he should be reported to
whatever agency oversees the licenses in your country as that is
irresponsible. He may be liable for any costs you incur if it was his
fault.

It must be fixed, even if times have to be removed. I can't see it so
cannot suggest a better method.

The "plumber" was likely just a handyman "bodger", not a registered
tradesman. Most likely cause of the dampness is not sealing around
the pipes where they penetrate the tile/backer. I'd pull the
estachions and caulk behind them with a good tile and tub caulk first
before doing any extensive/expensive deconstruction and see if that
solves the problem. Also seal all the tile grout with a clear tile
sealer made for the job.