Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Getting that memory curl out of Cat 5e

On 12/4/2020 6:18 AM, TimR wrote:
I bought a roll of Cat 5e to extend my network.

Maybe I stretched it out wrong, but it's remembering those curls and is very hard to run straight anywhere.

Is there a trick to this?

I've run it from the router area (put a surface mount and a jack on it) down into the basement, but getting it neatly to where I want it is a challenge due to the curl.

The cat 5 or 6 cable I have reels off from the middle of the roll from
inside the box, and is wound so it unwinds alternatively from one side
then the other of the inside of the roll, which results in no bad curls.

My reel of outside use cat 6 is on a wooden reel.

Maybe yours is a higher grade product with whole cable twisting to
improve performance.