Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Receiver sensitivity

In article , ken1943
@invalid.net says...

Amateur Radio equipment is built to favor ham frequencies and not
broad banded like your general equipment.

I know that, however my ham transceivers check out very well on most all
frequencies.

However the portable picks up the hams with just the whip, where with
wire the same length or even longer the ham transceivers picks up almost
nothing. Checking them out on a service monitor, they are sensitive
enough. However when the ham gear is used with a antenna only a few
feet long tuned to frequency in a car they pick up lots of signals.