Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Homeowner expectations versus reality

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 03 Dec 2020 22:58:12 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 23:49:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/3/2020 11:42 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

The caption is:
"What client wanted in 5 days" versus "What I could implement in 5 days"

https://imgur.com/gallery/eQIN3tt

So true, ask any contractor. OTOH, that one on the left is really nice.
Some serious skills there.

Agreed, and I've been guilty myself. I invited a guy to come and give me a
quote for some concrete stamping. The pad is 14x35 plus some smaller areas
that would need to match. He takes notes and tells me he can do it for
$8000. As I'm walking him out, he asks what I had in mind. "$700", I told
him. That's the last I heard of him. In hindsight, I should have politely
declined to answer.

ONe time a girl asked me how many children I wanted. I said 3, even
though I'd never before wanted more than 2. But her kids from her first
marriage were so nice**, I thought 3 would be better. Of course that
made 5 for her and like your contractor, I think that's why she dumped
me. But I learned a lot about her when she dumped me, and I really
dodged a bullet.

**They lived in an apartment so she and her 8? year old son came here to
trick or treat on Halloween, and he gave me half his candy. I was amazed
at his generosity. I would never have done that, or even close. And
her 12 year-old daughter let me come over the same night she had her
friends over. Although maybe that was so her mother would leave them
alone, I still think that was very nice. But their mother was scarey.