Posted to alt.home.repair
SNAG SNAG is offline

Default electric jacket driving me crazy- help!

On 12/3/2020 9:30 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 12/3/20 8:40 PM, JNT wrote:
No, not burning up so please don't panic!Â* Sorry if this is OT, but
this is one of my most active groups and I see a lot of sort of OT at
times. I just figured someone might know what I'm about to mention.

I made an electric jacket from some spare Teflon coated wire.Â* I was
going to do this 20 years ago, but was too busy working.Â* Now that I'm
not, I threw it all together a month ago.

Basically, the coats I used are what I had on hand.Â* I say coats,
because there are two: the first coat has the Teflon wire sewed
throughout and the second coat is worn over top of the first to help
keep the heat from escaping.Â* The type of coats are simple, cheap
fleece/ poly I picked up at Walmart last season.

However, I'm running into a problem that is sort of driving me up the
wall: I feel like I'm wet or sweaty all the time!Â* I keep checking to
be sure and there is very little, if any sweating, but it sure feels
like I'm "wet" but yet fairly warm.Â* I wonder if I should have used
something as a base coat OTHER than fleece like, for example, a thin
coaches jacket which is mostly a solid poly outer with thin cotton
lining.

Any thoughts would be welcome.Â* I just figured someone out there might
have done the same thing, or maybe wears a commercial electric coat
for personal or even motorcycle use.

Thank you in advance.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* A couple questions that might help.Â* Where are the heating wires?
Do you have a good, old fashioned, heating pad around?Â* Is it a similar
effect?

He should have used cotton - the instructions I saw for this project
used a lined cotton vest - the poly shell is trapping moisture . To the
OP : I also suggest you either build (you seem handy...) or buy a PWM
controller for that heated jacket . It should NOT be warming your body ,
it's job is to offset heat loss . I found that warming my extremities
was much more effective at maintaining core temps when riding - I assume
you're using this for motorcycle or snowmobile riding - in extreme temps .
--
Snag