Posted to alt.home.repair
JNT JNT is offline

Default electric jacket driving me crazy- help!

No, not burning up so please don't panic! Sorry if this is OT, but this
is one of my most active groups and I see a lot of sort of OT at times.
I just figured someone might know what I'm about to mention.

I made an electric jacket from some spare Teflon coated wire. I was
going to do this 20 years ago, but was too busy working. Now that I'm
not, I threw it all together a month ago.

Basically, the coats I used are what I had on hand. I say coats,
because there are two: the first coat has the Teflon wire sewed
throughout and the second coat is worn over top of the first to help
keep the heat from escaping. The type of coats are simple, cheap
fleece/ poly I picked up at Walmart last season.

However, I'm running into a problem that is sort of driving me up the
wall: I feel like I'm wet or sweaty all the time! I keep checking to be
sure and there is very little, if any sweating, but it sure feels like
I'm "wet" but yet fairly warm. I wonder if I should have used something
as a base coat OTHER than fleece like, for example, a thin coaches
jacket which is mostly a solid poly outer with thin cotton lining.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I just figured someone out there might
have done the same thing, or maybe wears a commercial electric coat for
personal or even motorcycle use.

Thank you in advance.