Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Cat Nick Cat is offline

Default Outdoor radiant (IR?) heaters - experiences?

On Thursday, 3 December 2020 at 16:22:28 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
We have an outdoor area at the rear of the house which is a wooden deck
with a plastic sloping roof to keep (some of) the rain off.
I say "some of" because the rain is blowing in and almost reaching the
bifolds.

The deck/roof is roughly 2.3 metres deep and 2.5 metres high.

I was contemplating adding some heating to allow us to sit out on cold
clear days so I am looking for advice.
There are weather proof 13 Amp sockets within the area of this veranda.

The obvious solution seems to be IR heaters high up the wall or on the
rafters below the roof.

I've started looking at IR heaters and there is a vast range of prices for
things which look remarkable similar, from around £70 to £300 for 1.5 kW
wall mounted strips.

I am slightly bemused that these trendy modern IR heaters look remarkably
like the electric wall heaters that used to be found in bathrooms, but I
suspect that the same idea is in use - direct heat onto the body instead
of trying to warm the whole room. Just more modern technology in the heat
source.

Do these things work effectively?

The big sod off gas ones found outside pubs do seem to chuck out some
heat, but I am assuming that bottled gas is no cheaper than mains
electricity.

Free standing might make them also work in the shed but I'm not sure that
will work in practice, and permanently mounted seems a much neater
solution.

Cheers

Dave R

all those things are grossly inefficient

NT