Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Allow wheels stuck on car.

In article ,
NY wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Most of my trailers are 'stud centric', including the one (I think)
that uses Morris Minor hubs and wheels and so no real interference fit
between the rim and hub.

Think that idea went out a long time ago except perhaps for very slow
vehicles. Or maybe just with alloy wheels. It is easier to machine a
concentric hole in the wheel to locate it accurately than rely on the
studs.

What do current steel wheels use?

As far as I remember, all the cars (*) I've owned have had bolts rather
than studs/nuts, and have hung the wheel from a central boss about
which it can easily be rotated until the holes in the wheel line up
with the holes in the hub.

(*) Renault 5, Mark 1 and Mark 2; VW Golf Mark 2 and Mark 3, Peugeot 306
and 308

It does vary, thinking of my older vehicles. I had a Bedford van (Vauxhall
Viva) where the steel wheels were located on a shoulder - the worst
vehicle I've ever had for wheels sticking on. But had studs.

It may also be tapered seats for nuts etc on alloy wheels are too weak -
prone to cracking. Unlike steel, where they can be pressed.

--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.