Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Thomas is offline

Default 3 prong plug, can I use in 2 outlet?

On Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 3:38:32 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 3 Dec 2020 08:04:53 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

7 amps seems like a lot. A sous vide maintains water at a set point, and I tend to doubt that takes much power once the water is hot (and most people start with hot water). I suspect it's more like 1 amp continuous.

The mechanism for shock would have to be an internal short that makes the case hot, right?
The case is in a water bath that you don't touch because it's hot - 150

The pot int he picture I looked at had metal handles, meant iiuc to be
touchable even when the water inside is hot.

plus you can touch a pot accidentally.
F or so. You fish out your cooking bags with tongs. So the path is from an internal hot wire, through the water,
through tongs with rubber handles, through the human body,

That's exactly the problem.
through the shoes and out the feet into a floor at ground potential.

Or someone's other hand might be on the stove.

? It's certainly theoretically dangerous but maybe not highly probable to cause harm.

I've gotten lots of shocks. The kitchen formica counter when I was in
HS had a metal border that gave a tingle when touched. Maybe because
the plastic case of the radio was chipped and it sat on a decorative
metal table so narrow so the radio chassis sat on the metal sometimes.
But that shock probably came through a capacitor or resistor. (I still
have the radio. I should check it out. )

OTOH, I got a big shock when I connected a crystal radio between the TV
rabbit ears and the forced air heating outlet grill. Never did that
again.

And another full 110vac from my index finger to my thumb once.

And other times.

But now I'm older and my heart is easier to stop!

I'm an idiot, but even I wouldn't rely on your tong scenario above.

Found a six foot 3 prong extension cord that is working. Thanks for the replies.