Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default 3 prong plug, can I use in 2 outlet?

On Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 12:47:18 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 11:05:00 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
7 amps seems like a lot. A sous vide maintains water at a set point, and I tend to doubt that takes much power once the water is hot (and most people start with hot water). I suspect it's more like 1 amp continuous.

I doubt it's continous, far more likely it's full on/off. 7 amps would be a750Watt heater,
which is reasonable. It's just going to be on for short periods compared to the off.

You might be right. After I posted I realized maybe it's a thermostat with bang band control.

But it could be more like a dimmer. Supposedly these hold really precise temperatures. But you've got a lot of heat inertia with that big vat of water.

I did try a DIY sous vide once. There's a way to do it with a cooler and hot water. You need to keep checking temperature and adding hot water as it cools. It was a pain in the butt but I did cook that meat exactly how I wanted it.