Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default 3 prong plug, can I use in 2 outlet?

7 amps seems like a lot. A sous vide maintains water at a set point, and I tend to doubt that takes much power once the water is hot (and most people start with hot water). I suspect it's more like 1 amp continuous.

The mechanism for shock would have to be an internal short that makes the case hot, right? The case is in a water bath that you don't touch because it's hot - 150 F or so. You fish out your cooking bags with tongs. So the path is from an internal hot wire, through the water, through tongs with rubber handles, through the human body, through the shoes and out the feet into a floor at ground potential. It's certainly theoretically dangerous but maybe not highly probable to cause harm.