Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Another thing about electric cars

On 02/12/2020 13:45, charles wrote:
It is quite correct that I have never driven one. However, I was all
set to
buy one in October and went to a dealer to see one. It was when the
dealer
told me that the advertised mileage - 245 miles range - was in the real
world only 185 (25% reduction) that I started looking seriously at the
drawbacks. I had thought that I could ignore these range restrictions and
hire an IC car for the long journeys - then I discovered that hiring a
car
if you are 80 is problematic and expensive. I'm going to have to wait for
range improvements before I buy. I'm not against them, but ATM there
isn't
one that suits my needs. For the last 50 years, my main specification
in a
car is that I can drive from Surrey to Edinburgh in a day without effort.

In my case, it is simply that the cost of owning two cars - I am nowhere
near a car hire place, and as you say as you get older hiring gets
gritty - precludes it, and you can get very cheap diesel cars after all
the hoo hah.

How cheap will the annual road tax be though ?.