Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Allow wheels stuck on car.

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 03 Dec 2020 11:04:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Rust? So one wonders if the type of alloy has changed or maybe any plating
on the nuts has worn off.

Brian, the wheel is located by a collar on the hub. The studs or bolts
merely holding it on. It's between the hub and wheel where the corrosion
occurs, jamming it on.

Isn't that only because it's 'hub centric'?

Most of my trailers are 'stud centric', including the one (I think)
that uses Morris Minor hubs and wheels and so no real interference fit
between the rim and hub.

Think that idea went out a long time ago except perhaps for very slow
vehicles. Or maybe just with alloy wheels. It is easier to machine a
concentric hole in the wheel to locate it accurately than rely on the
studs.

What do current steel wheels use?

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.