Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Another thing about electric cars

Andrew wrote:
On 02/12/2020 12:43, bert wrote:
In article , alan_m
writes

And a windscreen washer..

On my first car teh windscreen washer was operated by pressing, with
my foot, a rubber bulb situated next to the clutch pedal. I could
guarantee that on every winter's morning the water in the bulb would
be frozen solid.

That was the dip switch on one of my early cars Riley 1.5

Ditto vauxhall victors FA and FB. Maybe that was the accepted
way of doing it, since it required switching a fairly high
current, something that the available technology made it
difficult with column switches in those days.

All cars I ever drove of that sort of vintage ('50s, '60s) had foot
operated dip switches, standard cause of grinding gears was trying to
change gear using the dip switch instead of the clutch pedal.

--
Chris Green
ยท