Default NH property value assessed HOW?

On 29 Jun 2003 10:33:51 -0700, someone wrote:

.... As I can build just about anything I want, I'm trying to design
a house to minimize property taxes.... So I tried
to find the formula used to compute NH property value....

I'll obviously know to the penny how much the property is worth when it's
built, but if the value rises significantly, so could the tax burden. So
I'm trying to find the formula used to determine property value.
Anyone? -Dave

Sorry I missed the OP. However, it is not nearly as much of a mystery
as the public seems to think. The basis for assessment is Fair Market
Value, which for a residential property is basically what it would
sell for on the open market.

Now, different assessors may have different manuals or tables or rules
of thumb to estimate FMV, especially to apply to houses that were
built not bought so there is not a "sale price" on record. But it
errs to think you could game the system in any useful way by studying
"formulas". In litigation, both sides would have appraisers to give
expert opinions on FMV, and not by blind reliance on a formula.

Nassau County NY years ago was notorious for having an official policy
of using a 1930's cost manual as the basis for value on the rolls, but
it didn't hold up for individual litigation of specific properties.

And BTW, no you will NOT necessarily know to the penny how much a
custom built house is "worth" initially. You will only know what it
COST. Customs are often worth LESS than cost initially (especially if
they have odd features intended to minimize tax and maximize
flexibility); one person's dream house is another's nightmare.

-v.