Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Installing new electric oven

On 30/11/2020 20:56, Lobster wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 November 2020 at 02:00:59 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/11/2020 23:52, Lobster wrote:

What's the deal these days with installing a new oven? Im
looking

Much the same as its always been...
at replacement built-in ovens on www.AO.com. My understanding
was that ovens either come with a 13A plug attached, in which
case you can simply plug them into an ordinary socket; or they
need to be hardwired into a suitable existing oven circuit,
usually when they are higher current drawers.

Yup
But looking at the dropdown options, I see the following:

1. Comes with plug attached, no electrician required 2. Requires
plug/cable attaching by an electrician 3. Needs hardwiring by an
electrician

So whats option 2 all about please?!

Perhaps they are assuming that if confronted with anything more
complicated that a pre terminated plug on a lead the user will be
lost.

(possibly true for the generation they grew up not having to fit a
plug to every sodding thing you bought!)
The second thing is that (apparently!) I have to install 2
single electric ovens side by side. I have a cooker circuit in
the kitchen; is it ok to fit two hardwired ovens to this? How
about one hardwired oven plus one with a 13A plug (eg can I add a
13A socket to the cooker circuit?)

Any combination is possible - but you will need to take into
account the makers instructions, and the max current requirement of
the oven, as well as the fault protection requirements of the
oven's flex if its a pre fitted one.

So I've ended up buying two Neff B1GCC0AN0B single built-in ovens,
each rated at 2.99 kW. Turns out they come with a separate flex which
has a bespoke Neff plug on one end which connects to the oven,
leaving me with 3 bare wires on the free end. Looks like this
configuration is the 'option 2' I was on about in my previous post!

So regardless of whether these can connected to a 13A plug, that's
not an issue as I'm minded to connect both ovens to my cooker circuit
with one of these dual outlet plates, as being a neat, safe and
practical solution: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173876127186.

But.

Looking at the installation instructions
(http://media3.bsh-group.com/Documents/9001280153_C.pdf). Page 3
refers to the electrical connection, and distinguishes between power
cables with/without a plug with earthing contact, and in particular
says "If the plug can no longer be reached after the installation, a
partition must be provided in the phases in the permanent electrical
installation in accordance with the installation regulations". What
in the world is that all about? What can I do other than connect blue
to blu, brown to brown etc? Is anyone able to shed any light on
this?!

Its basically saying there should be a means of isolation. So if you
make connection with a plug, then you can achieve that by withdrawing
the plug. If it's hard wired, then you will need a switch somewhere[1].

Typically I would go with a "cooker" switch with no inbuilt socket
somewhere accessible, feeding your flex outlet tucked behind the ovens.

[1] Dual pole, with = 3mm contact separation

--
Cheers,

John.