Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 10 yr mandate, was: Smoke detectors, Ionization vs Photoelectric

On Tue, 01 Dec 2020 14:54:39 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Dec 2020 14:20:28 -0500, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 01 Dec 2020 00:00:06 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 17:39:35 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 22:13:53 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

[lots snipped]

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:03:53 +0000 (UTC), AJL
wrote:

I bought detectors with 10 year permanent batteries installed. When the
batteries finally complain or the 10 years is up I'll replace them with
another ten year bunch. Unless of course they outlive me.

New York has been mandating these "10 year" smoke detectors
for a couple of years now (there was a phase in period to
allow vendors to sell off the older ones).

Don't know how many other places have done this:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ow/3329632002/

.. or the hard-wired units.
Which I always thought were inferior - because -
during power outages - people will be using their
more dangerous portable heaters & such ..
John T.
And some places don't even allow "hard wired" because the ionizer
(the little radioactive device) has a fixed life and for best
protection should be replaced every 10 years. Used to be "hardwired"
was the only way to have sensor #1 set off the rest in a building to
make sure everyone in the building hears the alarm. Now they can
"radio link"

Hardwired was also the only way that didn't depend on the owner
replacing a dead battery.

Hardwired and battery aren't mutually exclusive. For the last 20 years or
so, across 1 apartment and 4 homes, my smoke detectors have been hardwired
with battery backup.

My house has a hardwired smoke alarm, but only one.

I don't know anything about your house,but a single smoke detector sounds
like it may not be enough. My 2800sf 4-br house has one in each bedroom,
one just outside each bedroom, one in the main hallway, one in the hallway
leading to the garage, one in the kitchen, one in the dining room, and one
in the study. I may have missed one. They're everywhere.

You folks probably should be checking your codes. In Florida
interconnected smoke alarms are required in all sleeping rooms. When I
did my addition, it was required to come up to code if it could be
done without any major destruction. For me it was pretty easy because
I have a single level with attic access to all of the bedrooms.

With the RF connected detectors it is not an issue of effort to get
there.