Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default 10 yr mandate, was: Smoke detectors, Ionization vs Photoelectric

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 01 Dec 2020 00:00:06 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 17:39:35 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 22:13:53 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

[lots snipped]

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:03:53 +0000 (UTC), AJL
wrote:

I bought detectors with 10 year permanent batteries installed. When the
batteries finally complain or the 10 years is up I'll replace them with
another ten year bunch. Unless of course they outlive me.

New York has been mandating these "10 year" smoke detectors
for a couple of years now (there was a phase in period to
allow vendors to sell off the older ones).

Don't know how many other places have done this:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ow/3329632002/

.. or the hard-wired units.
Which I always thought were inferior - because -
during power outages - people will be using their
more dangerous portable heaters & such ..
John T.

And some places don't even allow "hard wired" because the ionizer
(the little radioactive device) has a fixed life and for best
protection should be replaced every 10 years. Used to be "hardwired"
was the only way to have sensor #1 set off the rest in a building to
make sure everyone in the building hears the alarm. Now they can
"radio link"

Hardwired was also the only way that didn't depend on the owner
replacing a dead battery. My house has a hardwired smoke alarm, but
only one. It can't communicate with other smoke alarms any more than
it can speak Greek.