Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Another thing about electric cars

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 8:22:12 PM UTC, wrote:
On 29/11/2020 16:40, fred wrote:

I disagree. They should have planned a re-charge before their battery was too depleted, even if this meant stopping on the way up. I regularly do a trip which exceeds my battery capacity. I have located a charge point 75%of the journey on the out leg. At my destination I again have access to a choice of charge points which means if my first choice on the way up isn't available I can still manage the first leg of my journey. If all these choices are unavailable I can head for a near big city where there are multiple choices.
I've only ever once had a non functioning charge station. I did have to wait a short while on one other occasion when the fast charge point was occupied but I didn't have to wait too long and anyway could have started with an available slow charger if necessary. Max charge time on a fast charge is generally 45minutes after which a penalty kicks in so people do not tend to hog the charge point. 30 minutes fast charge gives me in excess of 100 miles. All it takes is a little planning not unlike making a journey in a small plane where you're going to masked bloody sure you have sufficient fuel AND a contingency plan

Good grief, what a palaver! My equivalent is: drive until the fuel gauge
reads about half way, start looking for a filling station, fill up.

Planning it like an aeroplane journey indeed! What a load of arse!

Bill

If its alI beyond you don't let it bother you.

I didn't suggest planning it like a plane journey merely offered it as a comparison.

So if you intended a trek across the barren north you wouldn't bother researching re-fueling points?

Its pointless comparing electric car usage to either diesel or petrol vehicles. Their usage is only in its infancy. It might not be that long before the see-saw dips the other way and fossil fuel availability may be restricted while electric will have passed it. Anyway battery technology is constantly improving and longer distances will soon be available