Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default 10 yr mandate, was: Smoke detectors, Ionization vs Photoelectric

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 22:13:53 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

[lots snipped]

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:03:53 +0000 (UTC), AJL
wrote:

I bought detectors with 10 year permanent batteries installed. When the
batteries finally complain or the 10 years is up I'll replace them with
another ten year bunch. Unless of course they outlive me.

New York has been mandating these "10 year" smoke detectors
for a couple of years now (there was a phase in period to
allow vendors to sell off the older ones).

Don't know how many other places have done this:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ow/3329632002/

... or the hard-wired units.
Which I always thought were inferior - because -
during power outages - people will be using their
more dangerous portable heaters & such ..
John T.