Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Smoke detectors, Ionization vs Photoelectric

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 29 Nov 2020 20:07:10 -0800 (PST), Sid 03
wrote:

Looking to install some new smoke detectors. I was going to install Ionization type smoke detectors in the lower floors and then a combination smoke and CO detector on the 3rd floor where the bedrooms are located.

I noticed that most of the combo detectors do not use ionization to detect smoke, but use photoelectric type sensors.
Is this a a big deal or should I stick with the most popular ionization type ?

You should use at least one of each. They are different and they
detect fire differently. If you want to detect all your fires as soon
as possible, and not just some of them, you want both kinds.

I had a problem for a while when I started cooking meat in frypan. It
would set off the smoke detector which would set off the siren and call
the alarm monitoring company, which woudl have called the fire
department if I were not home, but of course I was home or I wouldn't
have been frying at home.

But by not making the pan quite as hot, I still cooked the meat, it came
out the same and no more men in big brim hats visited me.

Years ago I was told by a contractor to not install combo detectors, but to keep the CO and Smoke detectors separate ?
Does anyone have an opinion on that ?

Well if half breaks, you're torn between keeping both halves or throwing
away both halves, but I don't know how often half breaks that the other
doesn't

If the CO detector has an interconnection wire for other alarms, should you connect it to the interconnection wire for the fire-Alarms ?
All this stuff is manufactured by Kidde, so I am assuming that is all compatible ?

Thanks
Sid.