Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Installing new electric oven

On Wednesday, 25 November 2020 at 02:00:59 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/11/2020 23:52, Lobster wrote:

What's the deal these days with installing a new oven? Im looking

Much the same as its always been...
at replacement built-in ovens on www.AO.com. My understanding was
that ovens either come with a 13A plug attached, in which case you
can simply plug them into an ordinary socket; or they need to be
hardwired into a suitable existing oven circuit, usually when they
are higher current drawers.

Yup
But looking at the dropdown options, I see the following:

1. Comes with plug attached, no electrician required 2. Requires
plug/cable attaching by an electrician 3. Needs hardwiring by an
electrician

So whats option 2 all about please?!

Perhaps they are assuming that if confronted with anything more
complicated that a pre terminated plug on a lead the user will be lost.

(possibly true for the generation they grew up not having to fit a plug
to every sodding thing you bought!)
The second thing is that (apparently!) I have to install 2 single
electric ovens side by side. I have a cooker circuit in the kitchen;
is it ok to fit two hardwired ovens to this? How about one hardwired
oven plus one with a 13A plug (eg can I add a 13A socket to the
cooker circuit?)

Any combination is possible - but you will need to take into account the
makers instructions, and the max current requirement of the oven, as
well as the fault protection requirements of the oven's flex if its a
pre fitted one.

So I've ended up buying two Neff B1GCC0AN0B single built-in ovens, each rated at 2.99 kW. Turns out they come with a separate flex which has a bespoke Neff plug on one end which connects to the oven, leaving me with 3 bare wires on the free end. Looks like this configuration is the 'option 2' I was on about in my previous post!

So regardless of whether these can connected to a 13A plug, that's not an issue as I'm minded to connect both ovens to my cooker circuit with one of these dual outlet plates, as being a neat, safe and practical solution:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173876127186.

But.

Looking at the installation instructions (http://media3.bsh-group.com/Documents/9001280153_C.pdf).
Page 3 refers to the electrical connection, and distinguishes between power cables with/without a plug with earthing contact, and in particular says "If the plug can no longer be reached after the installation, a partition must be provided in the phases in the permanent electrical installation in accordance with the installation regulations". What in the world is that all about? What can I do other than connect blue to blu, brown to brown etc? Is anyone able to shed any light on this?!