Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another thing about electric cars

On 30/11/2020 17:10, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:39:44 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Since your arguments are predicated on the assumption that 'low carbon'
will survive another decade.

My argument is predicated on the assumption that Covid has only
accelerated and not caused the shift away from masses of people needing
to drive masses of miles every day. The shift was happening before.

That is, to be blunt, irrelevant.

So along as everyone needs to drive reasonable distances *occasionally*,
the electric car as the sole form of domestic transport is inadequate.

(Same way looking back on media formats, vinyl was in decline *before*
CDs were extant.)

Only because people were ripping vinyl to cassette tape illegally...
That lead to the demise of the free rock concert, and all the decent
bands and the rise of cheap **** punk and rap music. A demise that CDs
only partially remedied, because CDS were even easier to rip...

In the end we had no decent music at all.

Life in 2050 is going to be very different to life in 2000, and
*everything* is going to rearrange itself around that.

In much the same way that in the 1900s, horse and cart were on the way
out, and ICE powered transport was in. And no amount of arsing around
with anything was going to stop that. Not even the combined choruses of
saddlers, farriers, blacksmiths, stables, horse breeders, trainers etc
etc.

Less than a year ago, when I was writing as much in various fora, there
were a slew of people saying I was talking out of my hole because "I
can't work from home". Guess what ? Enough of those people are now
"working from home" to have shifted the centre of gravity a bit.

I have always known that many more people could work from home than
thought they could, BUT that only emphasises the problem, We don't need
commuter trains or cars that get us to work and back. But we DO still
need a car to see granny 140 miles away, once a month.

Leccy cant do that yet. Not without a non home recharge

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels