Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Mains broadband

On 29/11/2020 13:04, Farmer Giles wrote:
I have an outside workshop/office that I ran some cat5 cable to some
years ago. This link is now playing up a bit - intermittent - and I
have been looking at replacing the cable, which I know has become a
bit fragile in places - a bit of a tedious job.

I understand that such a link can be achieved with suitable adaptors
through the ring main. Has anyone here done this who can offer
advice/guidance as the best and most economical way to go about it?

Frankly it doesn't work

That has not been my experience at all. Although I will concede I have
only done a few dozen installs with them.

I found them particularly helpful for the backhaul connections to wifi
access points. (in fact some have the WAPs built in).

Also good for drop shipping to non techy users who suddenly have found
they need to get data to their home office, or that the new smart TV
won't stream reliably in the bedroom. Needless to say I used loads of
them at the start of lockdown!

--
Cheers,

John.