Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default How near a drainage pipe can you plant a fruit tree? XP

On 29/11/2020 16:47, fred wrote:
On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 3:08:55 PM UTC, The Natural
Philosopher wrote:
On 29/11/2020 13:13, David wrote:
We are trying to decide where to plant a couple of fruit trees, on
semi-
dwarfing root stock.

One location is by a West facing wall which has a soil pipe (and
power and
water) running fairly close to it.

I will be searching the usual suspects, but is there any reliable
guide to
how close to underground pipes and cables you can safely plant trees
and
shrubs?

cables can flex - no issue. Pipes can flex a a bit, but not that much.

I would be happy planing near a well laid-in-shingle *continuous*
section of soil pipe - up to a foot or so.

Main problem is if the constant angle of drain gets disturbed and you
get pooling.. of sewage.

I would say with dwarf stock leave a meter or so, and if you have decent
access for a minidigger leave it. You might need it.
We may want to plant a Wisteria at the back of the house as well, with
similar constraints.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

As a general rule of thumb a tree's roots extend to the periphery of
their leaf canopy. There are exceptions of course. I suppose you could
keep it pruned back on that particular side

They do., but those are not *structural* roots.

They are water and nutrient gathering roots and don't exert much
pressure on anything.

Tell that to the man from building control when you try to carry
out any building work needed new foundations.