Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default How near a drainage pipe can you plant a fruit tree? XP

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 3:08:55 PM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/11/2020 13:13, David wrote:
We are trying to decide where to plant a couple of fruit trees, on semi-
dwarfing root stock.

One location is by a West facing wall which has a soil pipe (and power and
water) running fairly close to it.

I will be searching the usual suspects, but is there any reliable guide to
how close to underground pipes and cables you can safely plant trees and
shrubs?

cables can flex - no issue. Pipes can flex a a bit, but not that much.

I would be happy planing near a well laid-in-shingle *continuous*
section of soil pipe - up to a foot or so.

Main problem is if the constant angle of drain gets disturbed and you
get pooling.. of sewage.

I would say with dwarf stock leave a meter or so, and if you have decent
access for a minidigger leave it. You might need it.
We may want to plant a Wisteria at the back of the house as well, with
similar constraints.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

As a general rule of thumb a tree's roots extend to the periphery of their leaf canopy. There are exceptions of course. I suppose you could keep it pruned back on that particular side