Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Mains broadband

On 29/11/2020 13:04, Farmer Giles wrote:
I have an outside workshop/office that I ran some cat5 cable to some
years ago. This link is now playing up a bit - intermittent - and I have
been looking at replacing the cable, which I know has become a bit
fragile in places - a bit of a tedious job.

I understand that such a link can be achieved with suitable adaptors
through the ring main. Has anyone here done this who can offer
advice/guidance as the best and most economical way to go about it?

Their use was deprecated, particularly by radio hams because of the
interference they chuck out.

I had limited success with them in the past (although oddly enough, when
my wifi extender failed the other day an old Powerline unit gave me a
perfectly adequate connection from my latest FTTC box until I got a
replacement).

How far is it to the workshop? Is there anything like a line of sight
through a window or not too substantial wall to the workshop?

A standard Wifi range extender might be all you need. Assuming your
workshop has its own consumer unit, a "powerline" signal has to get
through a bit more hardware than it it is just on the same ring-main.

I believe you can set up more dedicated links with a decent range,
depending on how much you want to spend.

You might want to set up better security, if there are lots of people
who might be in range.