Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Monitoring electricity consumption

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 28/11/2020 12:57, fred wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought one of these to monitor the electric consumption of the electric
car I recently purchased. The car isn't seeing much use so it only goes
on charge about once week.
I keep a note of the distance covered and record it against the kWhs used
to recharge the batteries.

The strange thing is the meter records usage when the car isn't being
charged.(i.e.) last week after recharging the meter read 73.65kWh. This
morning when going to recharge the car again the meter read 74.16kWh so
where did the 0.51kW go ?
Gremlins
Is my neighbour plugging in extension lead ?

It just questions my faith in the meter.

According to the blurb, it switches itself off at above 1650watts, so I
would have thought it was totally unsuitable for measuring car charging
consumption, anyway.

Hadn't spotted that little gem. Having an overload cutout above 1650W makes
it about as much use as a chocolate teapot for many appliances - oh, and you
wouldn't be able to use a kettle to heat the water in the chocolate teapot
;-)

You'd expect the cutout to be set at slightly more than 3 kW, to allow for
the maximum 13A current draw (plus a bit of headroom) from one 3-pin socket.