Posted to alt.home.repair
Robin McDaniel Robin McDaniel is offline

Default light socket hot/neutral screw

On Friday, November 27, 2020 at 9:03:54 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On 11/27/20 10:41 PM, Robin McDaniel wrote:
I accidentally let the two screwed wire terminals in a socket fall out of the socket. I know that the gold one is for the hot wire and the silver is for neutral....but once they have fallen out of the socket, how do I know which slot they each properly go back into?

If this a standard screw-in light socket, the gold/hot goes to the
center contact, the silver/neutral goes to the screw shell.

See
https://www.familyhandyman.com/artic...g-electronics/

Thank you for the link and comment. Unfortunately, mine is not set up in quite this way. Neither indentation (to put the gold or silver screw terminal into) is lined up with the gold or center.....it sort of sits there by itself with the indents for the screw terminals on either side. So it's sort of a cr- - shoot which is which.