Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default reveal zones plastic deformation steel structure

"Richard Smith" wrote in message ...

... An Umlaut replaces an "e" after the vowel, as in Lueders. ...

You remind me of the common way of substituting for an umlaut

"Boehler" rather that (phonetic representation of the common
pronounciation) "bowler".

The "umlaut'ed" vowel sound is unique, isn't it? Not literally
represented by removing the umlaut and suffixing with an "e"?

I was stationed in Heidelberg and points south, where the Schwaebisch
dialect is VERY different from standard German, and the neighboring Bavarian
isn't much better.
https://omniglot.com/language/phrases/bavarian.php

I still can't distinguish between Hochdeutsch and a Swiss or Austrian
accent. My German pronunciation is a mix of two years of it in college and a
smorgasbord of what I heard.