Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Food Optional. Grocery Stores Closing

On 11/27/2020 5:39 PM, wrote:

My Mom was more of the "pour some stuff in a dish and bake it" sort of
person. My sister learned to cook in Home EC and kept us going until
my father got back from the VA hospital and started doing the cooking.
He got serious about it.
I was always responsible for at least one, maybe two meals a day on my
own and I am still the cook around here 65 years later.

In my parent's generation mom stayed home and did all the cooking. It
was rare to find a man that could cook. In later years, if the wife
died first the husband starved.

My generation the men started to do some cooking. My wife did most, but
I helped and did some meals as I liked to cook. When my wife could no
longer do it, I did it all and she would help by chopping some veggies
and stuff. It is a skill that everyone should at least have a bit of
experience with.

Some schools now teach Home Ec and Shop to both the boys and girls.