Posted to uk.d-i-y
Caecilius[_2_] Caecilius[_2_] is offline

Default Maintaining constant overnight bedroom temperature with electric heater

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 19:56:11 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

On 27/11/2020 15:19, Caecilius wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 15:10:00 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

On 27/11/2020 13:55, Caecilius wrote:
I'm sure I can't be
the only person who want a constant overnight bedroom temperature
without running the main house heating.

I've experimented by turning the central heating off overnight and it
doesn't seem to reduce gas consumption much. It seems to mean that the
house is horribly cold for the first hour of the day and the heating
never switches off all morning and most of the afternoon. I think the
thermal momentum of a brick building and its contents must mean that
cooling down and warming up take an inconvenient amount of time.

Bill

You don't have my gas bill!

I like my house, but it's expensive to heat, and having the CH off
overnight makes a big difference. Having it come on again at 6.00am
means its warm enough by the time I get up.

I need to do other things to reduce my energy consumption like replace
the Aga with something from the 21st century and bring my EPC rating
up from it's currently dire E rating. But for now I'm trying to live
comfortably while working through the various improvements.

Why keep the bedroom 'warm' when you could have an overblanket on all
night and you would be just as warm. That's what I do.

I don't like my head getting cold, so I prefer a warm room. But by
"warm" I mean around 18 C, so just "not cool" really.

Is there really not anything you can do to reduce the heatloss ?.
What construction is your house ?. Solid walls, cavity, wattle & daub,
Aberdeen granite ?.

It's a large 1930s house with traditional brick breeze block
construction. Total floor area about 315 square metres. The kitchen
is heated with an Aga and the rest of the house is heated with two gas
boilers installed in parallel (weird I know).

I did a lot of work on it this year, but I still need to sort out the
heating and insulation. But that's a project for next year after
winter - I'll probably be on the group again when I start that project
as there's a lot to do.

Just checked my EPC cert, and it's 38 (F) (not E as I previously
thought) which is even worse that I thought.