Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Stair help

On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 12:39:38 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 11/26/2020 11:04 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Wed, 25 Nov 2020 16:32:58 -0800

What's the point of the platform?

to provide a flat, level landing on the sloped slab. It will be
safer than having a "odd" riser. As the saying goes "the feet
remember" - a step which is off is a tripping hazard.

You could replace the slab, or put in a concrete landing so that
people will not be stepping down a different distance depending on
which side of the stairs they come down.

+1

An tapered edge there instead of a square corner would also help as
would a hazard indicator like a colored section to highlight the
discontinuity.

Sounds as though the slab should have been poured initially with two
grades; if were new construction I'd at least consider to go back to the
builder for redress...

Trying to minimize the tread height difference from one side to another
is better than nothing, certainly.

--

One of my earlier suggestions was to pour a level landing and then
let the "pad" gradually slope away from the bottom step.

While that would extend the run in a certain manner, a poured slab could
be driven/parked on, which a wooden platform would prevent.

It would really help if we knew if there was an issue with having available
room for a longer run. For all we know, the reason that there is currently
"3 steps and then a small step to the porch" could be because of limited
space for the run of the stairs.

Pictures might help too.