Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Stair help

On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 9:15:11 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 3:42:55 AM UTC-5, Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/25/2020 6:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 7:36:51 PM UTC-5, Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/25/2020 2:13 PM, swalker wrote:
I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and a width
of 53".

The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope across the
53" is 2 inches.

How do I approach this?

The current stairs have 3 steps and then a small step to the porch.
Totally unacceptable and dangerous.

Thanks for any advice.
The World Wide Web is your friend.

How to Build Stairs
https://www.wikihow.com/Build-Stairs

How To Build Stairs in 3 Easy Steps
https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...-build-stairs/

Stair Calculator
https://concalculator.com/stair-calculator/

Which one of them explained how to deal with the sloped floor?

I assume you would measure/cut the risers so that the bottom tread
would give the right stair rise where the staircase meets the floor,
and cut the bottom of the stringer to match the slope.

swalker said: "I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and
a width of 53". The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope
across the 53" is 2 inches."
Cutting the bottom of the stringer to match the slope is a given. It's the *rise*
of the first step that is the real issue here.

As my grandfather used to say "The feet remember." That's why, ideally, we
want the rise of each step to be the same. In this situation the rise of the
first step cannot be even across the 53" because the floor is sloped.

A typical set of stairs with a 25" rise and a 10" step run (tread depth) would
use a step rise of 6.25". (That may result in too much run for the OP's situation,
but that doesn't matter for the explanation of the general concept.)

53" is a wide staircase and we don't know where that 25" rise was measured.

So using a rise of 6.25", we now need to account for the 2" slope of the floor.

If the 25" rise was measured at the center of the steps, then one end of the
first step would need to use a 5.25" rise and the other would need to use
7.25". (Level step, unlevel floor)

If the 25" rise was measured at either end of the 53", then the opposite end
of the first step would need a rise of either 8.25" or 4.25".

Bottom line is that the bottom step needs to be level but since the floor is
sloped, the rise can not be the same across the 53".

Now let's bring in the users. Where will those users walk on the steps most
of the time? If they will usually use the middle of the steps, then the middle
of the first step should use the 6.25" rise and let the ends be higher and
lower. That way, the rise will *usually* be the same for the users for all steps.

If the users will usually walk up either the left or right of the stairs, then use
the 6.25" rise on that side and let the other end be higher or lower depending
on which direction the slope runs.

In this situation, where the slope of the floor forces an uneven rise across the
first step, the next best thing is to set the rise to be consistent in the area
where the stairs will be used the most.

....or level the floor at the bottom of the stairs and let the floor itself slope away
from the stairs in gentle manner over a long-ish distance.