Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT. Food Optional. Grocery Stores Closing

On 11/26/2020 10:43 AM, wrote:
Not a part of either my husband's or my tradition. I think his mother's creamed
pearl onions stood in that place on the Thanksgiving menu.

They were on the menu too. I haven't been looking for them but offhand I
don't recall seeing pearl onions on the island with the sweet, yellow,
and red varieties. I'm not up for peeling a pot full of miniature onions
anyway.

Candied sweet potatoes were a staple too that I couldn't look in the
face now. I'll bake some sweets today but I'll eat them straight up,
skin and all, maybe with a little butter.

Or the cream of shrimp and cauliflower thing...

Never heard of that.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ae/d7/0a/a...761a189cc0.jpg

I don't though if Campbell's frozen soup exists anymore. The casserole
was cauliflower, the soup, and a breadcrumb topping as I recall. There
may have been some other ingredients. It wasn't bad and the soup
actually had little shrimp in it.

My mother was a good cook but there was a certain element of '50s Betty
Crocker to it. The ethnic attempts like sukiyaki and chicken cacciatore
were edible but wouldn't be recognized in their natural environment. The
cacciatore required a bottle of what she referred to as 'shantay'.
'Doris Day's 'Chantez, Chantez' was popular and sort of was how you
would say chianti if Italians were exotic critters.