Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Installing new electric oven

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 17:23:36 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Max Demian wrote:
On 25/11/2020 11:27, Chris Green wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

I would have thought that a double socket wired to the cooker circuit
with 26A wire would be more convenient provided the cooker circuit can
take it.

That's a rather odd understanding of the current rating of wiring and
a double socket IMHO.

Why? Each oven could have a 3kW element.

Yes, and running both from the wiring that feeds a twin socket would
quite likely overload it (the wiring).

Twin '13 amp' sockets are generally rated at 20 amps total.

Also, there isn't any such thing as "26A wire".

I found out yesterday that the radial to the cooker point with 13A socket is
10 mil - on a 30A MCB. That has a bit of headroom, especially on only 7 - 8m
run. It would run the cooker and a 2 - 3kW oven with a 40A MCB, especially
as the oven is 50 years old and doesn't have lots of grills and ovens
already.
The house was rewired in '91 to 15th. Regs and has a 100A incoming fuse.
When the meter was changed the chap wanted to change the fuse to 80A but I
persuaded him to leave it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away