Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Vegans 40pc more likely to suffer bone fractures.

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 12:46:57 -0000, "NY" wrote:

snip

Given that calcium is added to bread and plant-milk, and is naturally in
broccoli and cabbage, and in sesame seeds and pulses,

.... and loads more ...

I wonder why vegans
are reported to have more bone fractures.

That's the thing, most of these 'studies' are later proven to be
flawed.

It sounds as if some vegans have
very restricted diets

We *know* that many people (inc non-vegans) have very restricted
diets, and bad diets in general but no one seems to be bothered about
those?

if they suffer more fractures which *presumably* are
caused by a lack of sufficient calcium in the diet.

Nope, the are caused (the article suggests) by less fat cushioning the
fall, a fact that is likely to be a bigger problem to the peoples
health than a fractured hip.

Of course, not everyone likes green leaf/stalk veg such as broccoli and
cabbage - I loathe all green veg except for celery which I love (but it's
the only veg that my wife hates)

The thing is, it's not always about what you like or don't, it's doing
what's best for you and 'us'.

and have to force myself to eat it because
it is good for me

Quite, and remember we make many foods, especially meats taste better
by processing them or adding vegetation (herbs) to them. ;-)

and it's socially acceptable,

IDGAF about that. ;-)

rather than because it is in
any way tolerable or pleasurable.

Like wearing a seat belt, safety helmet / goggles / mask, taking
exercise or not taking risks?

It's all down to mindset.

I aim to reduce the suffering and exploitation of animals, when and
wherever possible.

I eat a variety of food that fits in with the above.

The end. ;-)

Cheers, T i m