Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Installing new electric oven

On 24/11/2020 23:52, Lobster wrote:

What's the deal these days with installing a new oven?Â* Im looking at replacement built-in ovens on www.AO.com.Â* My understanding was that ovens either come with a 13A plug attached, in which case you can simply plug them into an ordinary socket; or they need to be hardwired into a suitable existing oven circuit, usually when they are higher current drawers.

But looking at the dropdown options, I see the following:

1. Comes with plug attached, no electrician required
2. Requires plug/cable attaching by an electrician
3. Needs hardwiring by an electrician

So whats option 2 all about please?!

Ovens need a heat resistant cable. In any case, nowadays hoi polloi are
considered incapable of wiring a cable to an appliance. You've got to
connect the colours correctly and deal with cable grips.

The second thing is that (apparently!) I have to install 2 single electric ovens side by side. Â*I have a cooker circuit in the kitchen; is it ok to fit two hardwired ovens to this? Â*How about one hardwired oven plus one with a 13A plug (eg can I add a 13A socket to the cooker circuit?)

I would have thought that a double socket wired to the cooker circuit
with 26A wire would be more convenient provided the cooker circuit can
take it.

--
Max Demian