#34   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Cable Wiring

On Monday, November 23, 2020 at 1:14:16 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Monday, November 23, 2020 at 11:38:41 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/23/2020 11:19 AM, TimR wrote:
Just an update.

With no available vent stack (not sure why, there's a sink and laundry drain in that area, but nothing in the attic) I decided to take the safe route and copy what Comcast did. On the ground floor they went through a window frameout area, so I put a hole an inch above theirs.
In the basement they went through the concrete block brick veneer wall. I measured down 5.5 inches and put a hole through just like theirs. Except I didn't, the longest bit Home Depot had was a 12 inch, and the wall is thicker. I didn't expect that. I can't be more than an inch or so short but I didn't get through.
I have the cable, keystones, etc., just as soon as I can get the hole through.
I have to work from home some days and last winter I froze down there, the end of the basement where the wifi reaches stays cold. The other end is no problem.

There are extenders for drill bits. You probably only need a few inches
to get through.

I suspect I need only an inch, maybe an inch and a half.

I don't see how an extender is going to work. My masonry bit is 3/8 inch. the extender socket must be bigger than that? I don't have a 1/2 inch bit. I'll probably end up buying the next size, which is 18 inches, but the cost of that is about double the cost of the 12 inch.

Depending on how fast you need it, have you tried Ebay?