Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What optical connector does Vodafone's Gigafast ONT use?

I'm not so sure that a fibre cable that long for domestic use can be
purchased.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"No Name" wrote in message
Hi all,

Having symmetric 500 Mbit Vodafone gigafast installed in December...

As I understand it, a box will be put on the outside wall with an optical
connector.

Then a optical patch cable is used to run from this box to a ONT (Optical
Network Terminator) powered up inside the house (typically in a downstairs
room).

Then an ethernet patch lead runs from the ONT to the Vodafone Router, also
powered up inside.

Now I'd rather put the ONT in my loft and connect that to my choice of
router.

However as I understand it, Voda Gigafast engineers will not install to
anything but a ground floor room plus we have COVID to consider so don't
want them spending lots of time in the house.

So What I want to do is buy a pre-made optical fibre with the correct
connectors at both ends that I can run from the outside box up to the loft
and say that I will put the ONT in my loft under UPS protection (due to
supporting an IP telphony solution) and then use the ethernet in place
from the loft to the lounge for the vodafone router to connect to for
initial setting up.

Then after they have gone, I will then switch to my router of choice which
is a Edgerouter with Unifi Wifi AP's

(my main motivations is to (a) avoid holes drilled into lounge from
outside annoying SWMBO and (b) to have the kit in the loft under UPS
protection rather than add to the kit already in the lounge also annoying
SWMBO!)