Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default Heavy duty tomato cages

On Monday, November 23, 2020 at 5:58:24 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 11/23/2020 8:37 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 2:18:06 PM UTC-5, Billy1202 wrote:
replying to bob_1fs, Billy1202 wrote:
I just took 1/8" bare rod and bent it until it met and tacked it. Then ran 4
poles quarterly (3,6,9,and 12 o'clock) similar to store bought cages. I
started with 5' lengths which is a much smaller circle than you expect. I was
able to build a 7' tall cage for 34 dollars, excluding welding supply (couple
of rods?) hope this helps.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-131029-.htm

Do you really think that he is still waiting for an answer after more than 12 years? He asked that on: Jun 18, 2008, 2:03:38 PM

Well golly Michael. I was hoping to hear about heavy duty tomato cages.
I was thinking about starting some tomatillo plants in my green house
come about mid January. LOL.

On Usenet this doesn't apply so much, but I often reply to or ask
questions on old threads on forums for a couple reasons. A lot of the
back ground information is already right there in the thread. Often
forums notify participants (or those who have a particular interest and
selected notifications) of new posts in a thread. Not only do you short
cut some of the information summary and internet experts who get off on
parroting what has already been covered before, but you may get
and improved on those solutions over time. It creates collections of
knowledge around a topic instead of having to hunt across dozens if not
hundreds of sources picking out the useful bits.

The only real negative is the net nannies who's only purpose in life is
to look for something to complain about and say, "You know this is a 15
year old thread don't you." Sometimes I respond to them and explain my
position and sometimes I just ignore them and restate my question.

Not always, but often the replies I am seeing on old Usenet threads are
from a web interface that makes it look like the Usenet group is
actually a part of a website or web forum.

Most replies that I see to many decade+ old messages offer nothing useful. At the least he could have told us where to get seeds to grow heavy duty tomatoes. I might want to do a remake of 'Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes', after all! ;-)

That was posted from a portal, not a Usenet server. www.polytechforum.com It skims a few metalworking and electrical newsgroups, ant repackages them as a so called 'forum'.