TURTLE

Default 110 vs 220 VAC air conditioner

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message ...
According to TURTLE :

Turtle, I'm not contradicting you, I just thought I'd extend your answers
a bit.

Yes Electric company want to talk in KWH and not in amps. You can covert amp to KWH if you like for they are
directly convertiable.

Not quite - power factor etc., but, given otherwise identical appliances on
120V versus 240V that behave exactly the same way, power factor going to be
the same in both cases, and thus irrelevant.

So I see no difference in the cost being lower for 220 volt service verses
120 volt service.

Exactly: the same unit at 120V and 240V is going to consume the same amount of
power - the latter at half the amperage and double the voltage of the former,
and thus the same Kwh consumed.

But there are _some_ differences, whether the differences are significant
enough to matter depends on many things.

The 120V vs. 240V line-loss isn't necessarily insignificant, even well
under circuit capacity.

Ie: given the exact same wire-size between a 120V and 240V circuit
(which'll be often the case with a window-mount AC), the 240V circuit
will lose 1/4 as much power to supply line losses as the 120V circuit
does. At, say, 120V/10A with a circuit long enough for a 3V voltage
drop, that's 30W at 120V, but only 7.5W at 240V. 30 hours of that at
120V is about 1 Kwh of lost-inside-house-walls power. 8-16 cents/day,
vs 2-4 cents/day. That may or may not be significant depending on your
own personal criteria.

This is Turtle.

What your saying here is a condition that most of the time will not be in effect for Electrician will size wire for a little more
than the max the wire will handle. If you had a 3 volt drop on a 120 volt circuit. Your taxing the wires ability atleast and need to
change the wire out to not even have a 3 volt drop to start with. If you don't give a damn about a job. You just put the least it
will get by with and let the customer pay for it the rest of their life. Any circuit with a 10 amp draw on it needs atleast a # 12
wire on it 120 volts or 220 volts. I run circuits for my equipment and if I see a 3 volt drop. i would change out the wire atleast
to not have it. I would have nothing with a 3 volt drop on it.

Now the Thread is a Home owner asking about it cost 1/2 the power cost to run the equipment on 220 volts verses 120 volt service.
You pay ruffle the same as 220 volt or 120 volt service. 1/2 the cost to operate is not in the picture.

TURTLE

---