Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Erick Erick is offline

Default power supply question

On 11/20/20 8:03 AM, Erick wrote:
On 11/20/20 1:52 AM, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 11/19/20 11:48 PM, Erick wrote:
I must say I am a bit puzzled why these seem to have a bad rep.
Aren't they switching supplies like used in desktop computers?Â* Every
desktop computer I ever had never had a power supply burn out.Â* I've
had about 7 over the last 3 decades and many have run 24 hours a day
for nearly a year.Â* If they can make them for PC's reliably, why not
these devices? They are supposed to be designed for continuous duty too.

Simple, if you sell power supplies to Dell, and they burst into flames
and kill a family. Dell will come after you and see to it that you and
your entire family disappear.

On the other hand, if you sell direct to the consumer and someone dies.
Nobody but the immediate family gives a ****.

Maybe, but in many cases, both units are being made by the Chinese.Â* I
have an old HP desktop power supply sitting here that I have used for
several years outside of its original environment running 24/7 and it
has done well.Â* Made in China like the one I returned.Â* I don't see a UL
listing on it either.Â* Ok, so maybe the cost is 2-3x more if I bought
the PC power supply new.Â* Well, I suppose that could be the answer.Â* a
12V 24/7 PC supply at say $50 versus a 24V/15A supply for $17.

BTW, the seller refunded me even before sending it back which tells me
they probably have a lot of defective units. In good conscience, it is
ready for pickup for the return, however, so even technically "free"
now, I still won't take a chance.