CAStinneford

Default Adding Central Air to Bathrooms?

wrote:

The previous owner of my house had C/A installed 2 years ago but
didn't put it into the bathrooms (2 fulls and half bath).

I'm now considering adding it to the bathrooms. I called the company
that installed the system. The guy said that C/A vents in a bathroom
are not a good idea b/c
1) you'll freeze when you're wet, coming out of the shower
2) in the winter when the system is off, the moisture will rise up into
the ducts and possibly create a mold problem, unless I'm super careful
to close the vents.
3) He recommended to instead install exhaust fans to suck the moisture out
after a shower. He said it'll put some of the C/A out if the door is open

but he still feels it's better.

Any ideas? Does this make sense?

Also, if I do install exhaust fans, do they need to vent outside? I thought
I once read or heard that there are fans than can exhaust right into the
attic.
I have a crawlspace attic that currently houses the blower and the ducts.
I may use for storage one day but don't currently.

We have two houses with central AC and in both cases, there are AC vents in the
ceilings of the all the full baths but not the half baths which are very small
rooms. I've never noticed any problems with mold or being too cold coming out
of the shower. If the baths are large enough rooms, I'd want a vent in there.