Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default power adapter connectors?

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 22:14:30 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

I'm not familiar with "fusion tape", but maybe I should be. For this
particular device, however, my wife is unlikely to be pleased with
"AMAZINGLY ugly." That's also why I'm reluctant to add a connector to
this.

I've used a wide variety of concoctions to repair strain reliefs and
cords.

My favorite was "Awesome Goo" which was both expensive and difficult
to find. Sets instantly with a heat gun or in hot water.
https://www.amazon.com/Awesome-Goo-CECOMINOD023727/dp/B003EB51CY

More (or less):

1. Mixture of cyanoacrylate glue and baking soda.
https://www.google.com/search?q=super+glue+baking+soda
good for fixing crumbling rubber boots.

2. RTV, silicone caulk or putty, structural adhesive, etc. Basically
anything that is flexible, fills gaps, and will harden. These work
nicely but are not very strong. They bend and flex nicely, but under
tension, will tear easily. I just used some black window caulk to
repair an extension cord that had been chewed by a rat.

3. Bondo. This is normally used for filling dents on cars. The
catch is that it's too hard and somewhat brittle. It will not provide
a replacement for a strain relief, but does quite well for filling
cracks that don't need to bend.

4. Shoe Goo.
http://eclecticproducts.com/products/shoe-goo.html
This is intended for fixing show soles. When set, the rubber is not
quite as flexible as I would like, but at least it bends.

5. "Liquid electrical tape" under a variety labels:
https://www.google.com/search?q=liquid+tape&tbm=isch
It works but has problems. It doesn't stick to rubber very well or
very long. Once exposed to air, it hardens very quickly in the can.
If you screw the can lid on tight, you can't get it off. Basically,
it's good for one job, and then throw away the can.

6. Plasti-Drip:
https://www.google.com/search?q=insulating+dip+for+tools&tbm=isch
This stuff works about the same as the liquid electrical tape, except
that it dries with a smooth surface. However, it's useless for gap
and crack filling because it doesn't seem to stick to anything. If
you can wrap the cable with a thick donut shape blob of Plasti-Drip,
it will stay in place. Otherwise, it will eventually stretch, break,
and fall off.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D