TURTLE

Default 110 vs 220 VAC air conditioner

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message news:ulKDc.882796$Pk3.372337@pd7tw1no...
Jake wrote:

Hi,
All I am saying is Volt x Amp is comprised of resistive Watts which is
producing work and reactive Watts which is wasted. Ratio of this two is
power factor in another expression. Real world estimation or whatever is
still based on theory. If you don't know theory or ignore it, sooner or
later you get into trouble. Worst case, fire, or getting someone killed.
That someone could be you. I hope not.
Tony

Tony, it seems you've got good intentions here, but please remember:

The original question was about efficiency and not safety. UL ratings in the
US rate an appliance at X watts for the absolute possible worst case
scenario. Pf, service inductance, and other factors are used for when you're
trying to squeeze the most out of your energy dollar, or engineering new
equipment. When that nameplate goes on any appliance that's UL listed, rest
assured the current ratings displayed there are the absolute highest that
piece can possibly consume.

Hi,
I don't think so. Look at a motor for an example. Does it show start
surge current? You said absolute highest.
I am military background. Most of my life I wokred on mil-spec stuffs.
Quite different from commercial ones.
Tony

This is Turtle.

Can you start by Explaining Surge Current to the Original Poster / Just a Home Owner and how it plays into the use of electricity in
a very simple terms that they can understand. If you try to get to spec.ing everything out you will loose the home owner in the dust
behind you. The original poster probley has no ideal what we are talking about here. When you talk over a home owners head. He just
says Yea , Right , OK.

TURTLE

---