Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eli the Bearded Eli the Bearded is offline

Default power adapter connectors?

In sci.electronics.repair, whit3rd wrote:
On Monday, November 16, 2020 at 11:37:16 AM UTC-8, Eli the Bearded wrote:
Maybe somebody sells inexpensive assortments of barrel connector to USB
cords? Other ideas?

Sometimes thrift stores are well-stocked with adapters, and prices aren't too
high to just... buy an assortment on speculation.

Another option I've used in the past. The two thrift stores with good
electric part selections that I used to go to have both closed. "Thrift
Town" is where I used to buy my computer monitors, but when I needed
another one last month, I was forced to buy new. The largest of the
local Good Wills, the one that had an actual computer department, has
also closed. The smaller ones haven't had the selection.

As for strain relief, you can get fusion tape (rubbery stretch-and-wrap
stuff that becomes a solid blob) wrapped around the hand-soldered
connection, and an overall layer of heatshrink tubing, which
replicates most of the mechanical advantages of molded connectors, and
is just AMAZINGLY ugly. And, it works.

I'm not familiar with "fusion tape", but maybe I should be. For this
particular device, however, my wife is unlikely to be pleased with
"AMAZINGLY ugly." That's also why I'm reluctant to add a connector to
this.

Elijah
------
does still has a decent furniture thrift store near by