Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default DIY Smart Meter?

On 16/11/2020 10:00, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/11/2020 12:35, Roger Mills wrote:
Prompted by the Smart Meter 2 thread, it occurred to me to wonder
whether there was any way in which I could monitor my electricity
consumption in half-hour intervals in order to evaluate whether one of
these fancy tariffs would be good or bad.

Yes but it is probably easier to buy one of the Owl type devices or move
to a tariff where your supplier will give you one as a part of the deal.

[Before I had a water meter fitted by my water company, I fitted my
own meter and ran it for a year or so to see whether I would be better
or worse off with a meter.]

You can buy energy monitors which either use a clamp sensor round one
of the meter tails or count flashes on new-type meters. But they only
appear to give instantaneous readings and daily totals.

https://www.theowl.com/index.php/ene...itors/owl-usb/

Is probably good enough for most purposes particularly if you also log
exertnal temperature along with your daily consumption. And make a note
of when you are running the glass furnace or other power hungry devices.

Does anyone know of anything more granular - preferable with the
ability to capture the data and insert it into a spreadsheet? Sounds
maybe like a Raspberry Pi application?

If I were to have a smart meter fitted (which I've hitherto resisted!)
but to stay on a fixed tariff, could this be made to provide me with
the required data?

I think domestic users get a transponder to use with a PC.

Not with any I've seen. Some suppliers may offer them. But AFAIK the
general rule is still that anyone wanting to access data from the meter
direct has to (a) buy a consumer access device and (b) get their
supplier to give it access to the meter's Zigbee network.

Meanwhile IIRC the Dutch simply provided a socket on smart meters so
consumers could plug in and get their data - including of course
plugging in something that connected wirelessly to their home network.

--
Robin