Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default power adapter connectors?

On Monday, November 16, 2020 at 11:37:16 AM UTC-8, Eli the Bearded wrote:

... I've solved this by buying pairs of connectors and replacing
both sides at once. This has worked, but the cord strain-relief I build
is not as good as factory so the cords fail faster. In the present case,
the cosmetics would be pretty bad.

Maybe somebody sells inexpensive assortments of barrel connector to USB
cords? Other ideas?

Sometimes thrift stores are well-stocked with adapters, and prices aren't too
high to just... buy an assortment on speculation.

As for strain relief, you can get fusion tape (rubbery stretch-and-wrap stuff that
becomes a solid blob) wrapped around the hand-soldered connection, and an overall
layer of heatshrink tubing, which replicates most of the mechanical advantages of
molded connectors, and is just AMAZINGLY ugly. And, it works.