Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default swapping out K type thermocouples?

Phil Allison wrote:
ABC_D wrote:

================
I have a project that involves controlling temperature with a
thermostat. The device used is he

https://www.ebay.com/c/595562870

However, since the temperature monitoring location is soon to be well
beyond the length of the current thermocouple leads, I am considering
swapping out for this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Long-...AOSw1HVfHfL ~

The problem is that the connecting leads don't match. Can this longer
thermocouple's ends be cut off and be replaced with the same type of U
interface that the current one uses? Thank you.

** Buy a K type socket and use that.

https://au.element14.com/labfacility...cia/dp/2347130

Anything else will introduce errors due to contact potential effects

...... Phil

The correct socket is key. Just trying to string extensions of the wrong
metal wires to thermocouple leads will waste incredible amounts of time.